Procedure to reclaim second-copy tapes

Hi,

Do you have an established procedure to reclaim second-copy tapes at CERN? We could think something like the list following steps.

• Sanity check that all files in the given two-copy pool have indeed two copies
  • Remove the archive route for the second pool
  • Modify the respective storage classe a single-copy one
  • Delete tape files in the second-tapes (question: isn’t this achieved in the next step?)
  • Collect the list of tapes in the second pool and reclaim them

Thanks,

George

Hi George,

out of coincidence, we do have a use case here where we have to do this and we just discussed it today.

What you are writing makes sense to me, but please give me few days to re-confirm.

I need to double check with our use case contact that this is what they want to do and then implement it.

Best regards,

Vladimir Bahyl

Hi Vlado,

Just to let you know that based on some testing I did on our prepreod instance, the following steps are working as expected:

• Delete tape files in the second-tapes
  • Collect the list of tapes in the second pool and reclaim them

The clean up of storage class, archive route etc can be done afterwards

Please let me know wha you have found out.

Best,

George

Hi George,

thank you for this information and confirmation that you have found a solution that works for you.

Unfortunately, on our side, we are not yet ready to delete the 2nd copy of some user files - discussion is ongoing.

Once we have finalized that, I will try to remember this ticket and update it with our procedure.

Best regards,

Vladimir Bahyl